NEWTON UPPER FALLS
Developed after the Revolution, Newton Upper Falls was home to the sawmill that in 1688 used Newton’s portion of the Charles River as a power source for the first time. Eventually the town became a prototype of the self-contained New England mill village, as textile mills, iron works, and machine shops brought workers and their families to the area. The area still uses the mill buildings for retail and commercial businesses even today, and it is surrounded by Waban and Newton Highlands in the north and east.
Newton Upper Falls is home to the Hemlock Gorge and Echo Bridge, which have turned into pedestrian walkways over the Charles River. If you’re looking to dine in the Upper Falls be sure to check out the widely popular Biltmore Bar and Grille and the family owned Echo Bridge Restaurant.
Newton Upper Falls is serviced by the MBTA stop Eliot, which is part of the Green Line “D” branch.
Newton’s first mill on the Charles River was built in 1688 in Upper Falls. Over the next 150 years, the water power available at Upper Falls led to the village’s steady growth as many more mills were built along that stretch of the river. By 1850 the village had 1300 inhabitants which was 25% of the entire population of Newton.